Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Week 1, Day 2

So I don't believe I fully explained what we will be doing for this training. We will be following a 6 day-a-week (internal monologue - "6 DAYS A WEEK!?!?!! &*^$###&($*!!!") training schedule from a book Adam is reading (Starting Out: Triathlon, Training for Your First Competition by Paul Huddle and Roch Frey) that will alternate workouts with combinations of running, biking, swimming and strength training. Today was biking - biked 10 minutes as a steady pace and then at high intensity in 2 minute increments with a short 30-60 second recovery. We did this for about 30 minutes (biked about 6.7 miles in 30 minutes) and then I hustled my sore butt to my indoor soccer game where I ran my little tush off...tired and hungry, I went home...

Another breakthrough today - I was reading an article on CNN.com about new year's resolutions that people tend to break and it gave a few pointers if losing weight and working out were one of yours - lightbulb!
"Set specific goals...Avoid thinking that you want to run a race somday. Sign up for a 5K during your first session." http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/05/trainers.new.year/index.html?iref=allsearch

Duh! I will sign up now for a triathlon sprint! [A triathlon sprint is a shorter version of a true triathlon. It's still swim, bike, run, just with shorter distances]

I researched a few in Illinois and I think we will decide this week which one we want to sign up for. No excuse will get me out of that one - my name will be on the race list (and the check will be cashed). One of the races we are leaning towards is April 24th!! EEEK! That's only 16 weeks away! Right now, I probably can't do an individual leg of the event, much less the entire thing. I hope there will be CPR certified volunteers at this event.....

No comments:

Post a Comment